Some of you have been anticipating it and some of you may not even be aware of it, but the book I wrote titled Just the Computer Essentials is now out! It is currently available on Barnes & Noble.com and Amazon.com (go to https://www.booksbyjim.com for a quick click-through to the book on those sites). The list price is $24.95, but it probably run you around $19.95 from these sites. I will also have copies available for purchase in person starting Thursday for $18.
I spent over a year writing this book with you in mind to help save you from pulling your hair out. Just the Computer Essentials was written around Windows Vista, Microsoft’s new operating system and the version of Windows you’ll most likely see on your next computer. The book is self-explained by its subtitle: A Plain English, No-Nonsense Guide to Buying and Maintaining a PC Running the Windows Vista™ Operating System for Your Home or Home Office.
Alright, I want to know what this book’s really about, give me the details…
Just the Computer Essentials focuses on the important points of buying and maintaining your computer, such as:
- Buying a new PC – The specifics of what to look for and what not to care about when getting a new computer.
- Just the facts! – Only what you need to know about hard drives, memory, software, etc.
- What’s the big difference between the hard drive and memory? A lot!!
- How do I set up a wireless network and make sure it’s secure?
- How do I know the best type of client to use for email and what if I want to have my own email address like firstname.lastname@example.org (not my real address by the way!)?
- What software is available for organizing my day-to-day activities and for managing my finances?
- I don’t want to pay $500 for the new version of Microsoft Office!! Are you telling me there’s a free alternative?! What’s the difference between the different productivity suites available?
- Backups are critical! – Just the Computer Essentials provides different options available to you and step-by-step instructions on how to perform backups using the new and improved Windows “Complete PC” and “Back Up Files” programs.
- Security options – Security information you need to know to protect your Windows PC:
- Viruses, spyware, phishing
- Password protection
- Windows and application updates
- Security management
- Help my hard drive crashed – Just the Computer Essentials will give you step-by-step instructions on how to restore your data… you did already back it up, right?!!
- Disaster recovery – If Windows starts acting up or you lose important files, Just the Computer Essentials is what you need by your side to try to get things working properly again… starting with the simplest solution all the way to a format and reinstall of Windows Vista and a data restore!
- PC migration – You’ve made the plunge and bought a new computer running Windows Vista – now how do I get everything from my old computer to my new one? Just the Computer Essentials will guide you through the whole process to get you rolling with all your data and settings in no time!
Maybe you know someone “in the business” and don’t want to bother them for the umpteenth time… or maybe you’ve realized it just doesn’t make sense to pay someone the big bucks for something that you can easily handle yourself! Just the Computer Essentials is the book for you!
Over a year in research and testing was put into Just the Computer Essentials before the Windows Vista operating system was even available to the general public to ensure that this book is accurate and covers the necessities!
Just the Computer Essentials makes sure that topics are provided not for the geek, but in a straight-forward, easy-to-understand conversation with you. And over 200 screenshots are provided throughout because sometimes it’s just a heckuva lot easier to see what you’re trying to accomplish than to just read about it!
So, enough reading this! It’s time to pick up a copy of Just the Computer Essentials. Head on over to https://www.booksbyjim.com for more information and to order your copy. And if you’re currently in the business, be sure to recommend Just the Computer Essentials to your friends and family!
— Jim White
Field certifications: Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE), Cisco Certified Security Professional (CCSP), Citrix Certified Enterprise Administrator (CCEA), CompTIA A+, CompTIA Security+, and more!